Monday, August 3, 2009

Migraines

I used to get migraines all the time. They were horrible. They interrupted my life on a regular basis. I went to see many doctors about this and no one could give me an answer for it.

Then, when I was pregnant my blood pressure became dangerously high and I was hospitalized. This high blood pressure led to severe pre-eclampsia and resulted in the death of my little girl.

After my pregnancy, medication was reduced but it soon became clear that my pregnancy was not the reason for my blood pressure issues.

Which leads me to believe that my blood pressure had been high all those years I complained about migraines.

Here's the thing. I've been taking the medication for over 4 years now and my last migraine had been when I was in labor.

That is, until a couple weeks ago. BANG another migraine.

And then another.

and today, another.

Three migraines in less than two weeks after four years without one.

What is going on?!

I'm trying to figure that out.

About a month ago, my blood pressure went really high one day. I don't really know why it did that but I went to see the doctor. Unfortunately, my family doctor has gone away for some additional education (at least I think that's why he's gone?) and so I saw another doctor. This doctor increased my medication which had previously been reduced by my regular doctor.

Since then though, I've noticed my blood pressure has been low. So, maybe the low pressure is causing the migraines.

Another possible reason is that my glasses broke a couple months ago. I went to get my eyes tested and got brand new glasses which I felt were skewering my vision. I had them adjusted a couple times and I also went back for a re-test just in case. I finally "got used to them" but I am still feeling skewered on occasion. Is this the cause of my migraines?

The other thing that may be contributing to it is that I got a new television. A flat screen television. I am wondering also if that could be part of the problem. Also in addition to being on the laptop alot right now while I'm home. Is it causing migraines? Could be.

And last, but not least, all the emotional turmoil I've been through the last few months with no foreseeable solutions to any of my problems, at least not anytime soon. Anticipation (not necessarily good anticipation)

I really hate to waste more time going back to the doctor's, or to the optometrists but what am I supposed to do? This is so typical of my life... nothing ever gets solved and I spend my entire life stuck in a rut, getting no where.

At least, at one time, I had hoped that someday things would get better. I no longer have that hope.

I want to say "why bother?" but at the same time, I hate all the pain and discomfort in my life.

Perhaps this is where I shall complain more about my ailments and make you all think I like to complain. (I've actually been accused of that before, that I actually LIKE complaining and do so for attention, but trust me, I'd rather have positive attention) .

Okay, here goes.

Let's start with the fact that I've got a severe-profound hearing loss. Well, that alone isn't a huge problem. I'm used to it. But in addition to it, I have severe tinnitus. That's the medical term for "ringing in the ears". It is 24/7 . sometimes louder than other times, but ever-present. Because of this, I often have trouble sleeping and end up having not enough sleep (which, incidently, may also be another reason for my migraines)

18 years ago, I fell off my bike and severely injured my knee. I've had some chronic pain since then. It's not always bad and it does not always prevent me from doing things but I am noticing the older I get the worse it gets. I am also noticing pains in other parts of my body similar to the pains in my knee. My ankles and my shoulders, my wrists and most recently my hip. Now I've had some issues with my hip since I gave birth to my daughter and so that may be related.

Anyway, I won't go on and on (or I should say I won't continue to go on and on) I guess part of me is trying to deal with all this on top of my losses and it makes my losses that much worse.

And it makes it very difficult to understand why my husband, who was rarely sick a day in his life, died at 37 years old, and I am still here.

2 comments:

Allison said...

Have you thought about trying homeopathic medicine? I was reading a study in my massage therapists office (which is right beside your curves) about this medicine and how it works.

Maybe you could see that guy?

Or, try the Naturopathic Dr that a friend of mine went too. He's known for working small miracles... like my friend who was told she'd never have children and now has a 5 month old daughter. (this isn't his only case of that happening too!)

anyway, those are some options for you that aren't going back to a traditional Dr.

http://www.naturalmedicine.mb.ca/

that's the website. think about it.

but be prepared and know that 99.9999% of all health problems aren't solvable with one magic visit to a Dr.

Susan said...

It seems all the reasons you listed for your migraines could be possible contributors... Its too bad the docs aren't more helpful, though. I hope you can get some answers and that the pain issues can be resolved soon. Praying for you!