Friday, December 19, 2008

Did You Know This?

My husband chose to be cremated. Part of his reasoning was because he felt it would be cheaper. But did you know that in order to be cremated, one needs a "cremation casket"? This is the casket in which the person's body goes into the crematorium.

I didn't know this either!

You can get a wide range of cremation caskets but the prices are comparable to the price of a regular casket. You can get real fancy shmancy cremation caskets too! I don't really understand the point of that, but it is an option available.

We went with one of the lower range ones which still cost nearly 1000 dollars (Cdn) ! There really wasn't anything much cheaper, give or take a few bucks. Alot of money for something that will be destroyed, if you ask me!

So, if you are planning to be cremated, keep this in mind as yet another expense that you will need to save up for.

(I should point out that when our daughter was cremated the funeral home took care of the costs. They often do for babies. Because of this, we were not aware that there is a cremation casket.)

3 comments:

Mom 4 Life said...

Wow, I did not know that!! When Sawyer was creamated the funeral home covered the costs so I had no idea! :(

Jo said...

I only knew that because you told me that before. But I didn't know it before that! Stupid!

I also didn't know that funeral homes will cover the cost for babies.

Joc(e) said...

Yeah, I never thought about it with Michelle, but she was so tiny. Probably the money we paid to the funeral home (not much) covered the cost of a tiny casket...

I keep bugging my DH about life insurance. I don't think we have nearly enough, but he doesn't like to think of death...ok, but he could easily survive monetarily if I died, not the other way around :(

Thinking of you Ter. And Bear.